When to Take CBD Oil for Sleep? Tips for a Restful Night
One in three adults doesn’t get enough sleep each day. If you can relate, you probably fall asleep during the day by accident too. You’re not alone. This happens to almost 40% of adults. We get it. Missing sleep and insufficient rest can put your overall health into a bad cycle.
Many people take prescription sleep aids, while others prefer a more natural option to help them sleep better. Cannabinoid (CBD) oil is a natural extract from hemp that doesn’t contain any THC that will get you high but may help relax your body so you can sleep better. Kind of like self-care in a bottle.
We’ll explain why sleep is critical to reset your body and why many people are turning to CBD to help them get better sleep. While CBD isn’t FDA-approved as a sleep aid, you may find that it might help your body relax and calm down naturally so you get a better night’s sleep.
To decide if CBD oil is the best, natural option for you, it’ll help to understand how sleep works and benefits your body. When you lie down at night, your body goes through four stages of sleep:
- Stage 1: This is a light doze. Think catnap.
- Stage 2: During this sleep stage, your brain waves slow down, but you can wake easily.
- Stage 3: This is the best stage where your body goes into deep, restorative sleep.
- Stage 4: You’ve reached REM sleep, where your brain begins to dream.
A good night’s sleep enables your body to push a reset button. When you reach a REM cycle, your cells recharge, your muscles repair, and your brain sorts out memories and processes emotions. Sleep is essential for preparing your body and mind for a new day.
Unfortunately, several factors can disrupt sleep, keeping you from that restorative REM sleep. The biggest factors that keep people up or disrupt sleep include:
- Electronic devices
- Irregular sleep schedules
- Uncomfortable sleep environments
- Noise or light
- Pesky pets
- Restless partners
- Young children
- Medical conditions like sleep apnea or insomnia
If you want a natural supplement to help you relax after a long day, shop our best CBD oils and topicals.
How CBD Oil Works for Sleep
Your body’s endocannabinoid system acts like a boss inside your body, regulating how you react to pain, anxiety, sleep, and inflammation. It has receptors all over your body and in your brain.
When you take CBD, the CBD interacts with your endocannabinoid system and boosts the receptors that manage pain, inflammation, and relaxation. When taking the right dose for your body, CBD may help your body calm down so you can get to sleep and remain relaxed so that you can reach the REM stage.
Research found that CBD may have a calming effect on your nervous system. And another study found that 66.7% of patients who took CBD experienced improved sleep after a few weeks. But keep in mind, CBD isn’t a miracle worker, and many of these studies are preliminary, so more research is needed. Everyone’s body reacts differently, so predicting if CBD is right for you is difficult.
Related Link: Holistic Approaches to Anxiety: CBD and Beyond
Factors to Consider Before Taking CBD Oil for Sleep
Before you start taking CBD oil for sleep, you should consider the following:
- CBD dosage: if taking it for the first time, we recommend starting with a low dose of 25mg to see how your body reacts. Then you can up your dosage to 160 mg-600 mg, depending on your body’s needs.
- CBD product type: Several CBD products are more effective for sleep, such as CBD oil drops, inhalers or vapes, tinctures, and edibles.
- Timing of CBD consumption: Most people take CBD right before bed, but some products are faster than others. Tinctures and inhalers can work within 20 mins, while edibles generally take about 45 min for the CBD to digest into your system.
CBD is generally considered safe to take with few or mild side effects. But you may experience these potential side effects:
- Dry Mouth
- Changes in Appetite
CBD can interact with other medications, making them less effective. It’s critical to talk to your doctor about taking CBD to ensure your medications won’t be affected by CBD.
Ready to add CBD to your nightly routine? Shop our best-selling CBD products.
Best Practices for Taking CBD Oil for Sleep
When buying the best CBD oil for sleep, you should consider these best practices:
- Choosing the right product: Look for products with high quality, potency, and sourcing. You also want products that are third-party tested for potency and safety.
- Finding the right dosage: Start with a low dose, like 25 mg, then slowly increase your dosage until you find the right balance for yourself.
- Creating a bedtime routine: Practice healthy sleep habits and create a bedtime routine that will encourage better sleep.
- Tracking your progress: Record your dosage, when you began feeling relaxed, and sleep duration.
Related Link: A Comprehensive Guide to CBD
Alternative Ways to Improve Sleep
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends following these tips to improve your sleep quality:
- Try to start your sleep routine at the same time every night.
- Ensure your bedroom is quiet, relaxing, cool, and dark.
- Do not look at electronic devices one hour before bed.
- Avoid eating large meals, caffeine, or alcohol right before bed.
- Exercise during the day to help your body fall asleep faster.
Combining CBD Oil with Other Sleep Aids
You should always speak with your doctor before combining CBD oil with other sleep aids. Here are a few sleep aids that can work with CBD oil:
- Valerian root
- Chamomile tea
- Some prescription sleep aids: Talk to your doctor first, but some benzodiazepines, non-benzodiazepine sedatives, and some antidepressants may work.
Is CBD oil safe for long-term use?
CBD oil is generally considered safe for long-term use, but it’s important to follow recommended dosages, monitor for side effects, and consult with a healthcare professional for personalized guidance.
Can I get addicted to CBD oil?
CBD oil is not considered addictive, because it doesn't produce the psychoactive effects of THC. However, psychological dependence on any substance is possible. Use responsibly and as directed.
Can I take CBD oil during the day?
Yes, CBD oil can be taken during the day.
Can CBD oil interact with other medications?
Yes, CBD oil can interact with certain medications, particularly those metabolized by the liver. It’s important to talk to a healthcare professional to assess potential interactions and adjust dosages if needed.
CBD Oil is a Natural Supplement that has the Potential to Help with Sleep
For those looking for a natural supplement to help them relax before bed, you may want to consider CBD oil. With low side effects, CBD may be able to calm your mind and body, enabling you to fall asleep and reach that necessary REM cycle.
Popped.NYC makes high-quality CBD oils and topicals that may help you relax after a busy day and get into a healthy sleep routine. Shop our all-natural, vegan, gluten-free, cruelty-free CBD products and start getting the sleep you deserve.
Related Link: How To Make Your Self-Care Routine Pop!